Oh Matcha, oh how I love you! Let me count the ways. If you are a matcha lover then this is your new favorite quick and easy breakfast. If you are new to adding matcha into your life then this is such an amazing place to start it. The subtle, earthy flavors of matcha in overnight oats are such a delicious way to add it to your day. Matcha is also a powerful antioxidant and has an energizing effect which makes it another perfect addition to give you that boost in the morning to take on your day. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of matcha, learn more in my Green Goddess Matcha Latte Post
Overnight Oats are one of my go-to prep breakfasts when I know I am going to have a busy week. It allows me to take oats of choice (use gluten-free as needed if you have a gluten allergy/intolerance), whatever liquid I have on hand, and then choose your flavouring of choice based on what you feel like and what you have to use up! I find this is a great way to use up soft fruit in the fridge at the end of the week that might go bad. By blending them and adding them to your oats adds flavour and reduced your food waste.
This recipe uses matcha powder. Matcha is where the whole leaves are ground down to an extremely fine green powder which is then dissolved into hot water. Drinking matcha is consuming the whole green tea leaf and not just what is released by brewing the leaves, which is said to have higher antioxidant properties, but also higher caffeine content which is why these Matcha Overnight Oats give your morning a bit of a “get up and go” kick to them.
Try them and let me know how you like them in the comments below. If you really love the addition of matcha to your breakfast then try my Matcha Powered Pancake Recipe, or a fun Energizing Breakfast Pizza Recipe, or for a quick snack on the go these Green Tea Macadamia Nut Cookies. So many fun ways to add Matcha to your foods.
In great health,
Matcha Overnight Oats
- 1 bowl
- 4 jars with lids optional, only if you want to portion these out for a grab-n-go breakfast
- 1 spoon
- 2 cups milk or liquid of choice I like unsweetened coconut milk or hemp milk with matcha.
- 1.5 cups oats of choice. I like steel-cut oats or quick oats. Use Gluten-free as needed
- 3/4 tsp matcha or green tea powder
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sweetener of choice maple syrup, honey, monk fruit, date sugar, cane sugar, etc. Choose what works best for you
- 1 scoop collagen or protein powder of choice optional.
Optional Toppings per serving
- 1 tbsp chopped fruit of choice
- 1 tsp nuts or seeds of choice great way to add protein on top if you don't like protein powder
- 1 tsp hemp seeds great way to add protein on top if you don't like protein powder
- 1/4 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips of choice
- Simply is mix all your overnight oat ingredients into a bowl. You can pop the bowl into the fridge to set and scoop out as desired or divide the mixture equally into 3 small jars/containers for individual serving sizes that are easy to grab N go on busy mornings.
- Pop it into the fridge for minimally 2- hours or overnight. Have them cold or hot, add an additional splash of milk if you like a thinner consistency. You can enjoy them on their own or add some fun toppings (see suggestions above) based on what you have on hand and feel like.