There is nothing like a big stack of pancakes for breakfast that puts a smile on everyone’s face at the table. Of course, I like to enhance the nutrition of those pancakes to power myself for the day ahead of me.
Matcha is the finely ground powder of tea leaves that have been specially grown, harvested, and processed for the highest nutritional quality. The health benefits include antioxidants, boosts metabolism and burns calories, naturally, detoxifies, high in fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins balances cholesterol and blood sugar, supports mood and concentration, all while providing Vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium, to name a few.
Matcha turns the pancakes bright green color, I tell my kids they are “monster pancakes” and they love them. For more health information and a link to a research article on Matcha check out my How to Make a Matcha Latte at Home post. These pancakes are also naturally gluten-free thanks to a mixture of buckwheat, which is high in fiber and actually made from a fruit seed so is suitable for those with sensitivities to gluten or grains. Along with almond flour with helps the pancakes be light and fluffy, is also gluten-free, low in carbohydrates, high in fiber and a great source of protein.
Give these fun and healthy pancakes a try for your next breakfast. For toppings, I like to melt nut butter such as chocolate hazelnut spread or a brazil nut butter overtop, or you can use good quality maple syrup, top with fruit and dig in.
Matcha Powered Pancakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tsp baking powder aluminum-free is ideal
- 1 1/4 cup nut milk of choice
- 1 free-range egg or flax substitute 1 tbsp ground flax to 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp matcha powder adjust this based on your taste
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add egg or egg substitute and nut milk. Whisk together until the batter is smooth.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan or griddle over medium heat, pour in about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the pan. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side until brown. Top with your desired toppings and enjoy.