I love yogurt! Yogurt and granola, yogurt and berries, yogurt in my smoothie bowls! However, commercial yogurts often are laden with sugar, artificial color, and artificial flavors. Also, dairy is not everyone’s friend; therefore, finding a good dairy-free alternative to yogurt which is clean, has the texture of yogurt and tastes great is important.
This creamy coconut yogurt is a great alternative to dairy for my vegan friends, those with lactose-intolerance or just people looking to reduce dairy for other reasons. It’s also delicious, contains helpful probiotics for a healthy digestive tract, and is made free of sugars or unwanted additives. To learn more about the health benefits of yogurt check out this article on Probiotics.
Making homemade yogurt sounds like a daunting task — something you need to buy a yogurt machine or special equipment for. This is far from the truth. This method is quick, easy, a no mess, no fuss approach. Honestly, as a busy working mom, I always look for simple ways to get healthy staples into my fridge and pantry. This not only makes me feel good knowing what is in it for my family’s health and wellness but also saves money on food costs which are a perk we can all appreciate. Please check out my Recipe Page for other easy homemade essentials.
This is a super simple recipe that I use all the time for a quick tasty dairy-free yogurt substitute. You will need about one cup of young coconut meat (about 2-3 coconuts). Sometimes when I am rushed for time, I cheat and buy the coconut meat! There are several good brands available that offer freshly frozen young Thai coconut meat. I really like the brand Feeding Change, but choose whatever brand you prefer. Try this yogurt with your favorite toppings like fruits and nuts, add it to your morning smoothies or try it in my Homemade Bottom Fruit Yogurt Cups.
Homemade Vegan Probiotic Coconut “Yogurt”
- 1 cup young coconut meat 2-3 coconuts or buy frozen meat
- 1/8-1/4 cup coconut water
- 2-3 tablets probiotic’s
- Place 1 cup of coconut meat into your blender for about 2-3 minutes. This helps to heat up the coconut slightly so it’s ready for the probiotics. Probiotics prefer warm conditions so remember if you choose to use the frozen coconut meat, be sure to allow it to thaw and come to room temperature before starting the recipe.
- Add 1/8 cup of coconut water and blend for another minute. If your coconut mixture is looking too thick and not smooth and creamy add the other 1/8 cup of coconut water and blend for another minute.
- Pour this mixture into a glass bowl, open 2-3 probiotic tablets and pour their contents into the coconut mixture. You will stir very gently with a wooden spoon until it’s well mixed throughout.
- Cover the bowl with cheesecloth or a very clean, breathable cotton tea towel and secure it with an elastic band onto the bowl. This will keep out things we don’t want in our yogurt while letting the good bacteria we want in the yogurt a chance a breath.
- Place the bowl in a dark, cool place (i.e. a kitchen cupboard or pantry works great). Leave it for a full 24 hours.
- After 24-hours check your yogurt! it should be thick and creamy. Viola! deliciously, easy Coconut Probiotic Yogurt