Everyone gets very excited for Masala bowl night. When you bring pineapple bowls filled with golden turmeric rice, masala spices, sweet pineapple, and cooling cilantro its hard not to get excited. Adding turmeric and sage into your rice is a great way to incorporate the anti-inflammatory and health benefits of turmeric.
Turmeric is a perennial plant of the ginger family and has long been used for its medicinal uses. In Ayurvedic practices, turmeric has been used to support internal disorders, throat infections, liver concerns, and to improve immune functions. For more health benefits and uses of turmeric check out my article here, which includes a recipe of beautiful golden milk.
Chickpeas provide a great plant-based protein, insoluble fiber, and minerals like folate and manganese which is beneficial for bone and cardiovascular health. Cilantro is cleaning and alkalizing to the liver, which pineapple boosts digestion and aid the breakdown of food thanks to it’s naturally occurring bromelin compound. Overall, this dish fun and packed with health benefits.
Tikka Masala Bowls with Turmeric Rice
- 1.5 cups rice select gluten-free as needed
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 sage leaf
- 2.5 cups water
Tikka Masala Chickpeas
- 1 19oz can chickpeas, rinse, drained
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 shallot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala i love south china seas brand, link in notes below
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 12 oz can diced tomatoes & their juice organic, no added salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 pineapples
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Add all rice ingredients in a medium size pot, bring to a boil, cook according to rice package instructions. Remove sage leaf before serving.
- Heat a skillet over medium hear with oil, add onion, ginger, and garlic for about 4-6 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add all seasonings and stir well for about 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and coconut milk, turn to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in chickpeas to coat.
- Slice 2 pineapples in half. Scoop out the inside of the pineapple and chop the fruit into bite size chunks.
- Wash, loosely chop cilantro.
- Divide the rice and masala chickpeas evenly amongst the pineapple bowls. Top with pineapple chunks and cilantro.