Superbowl Sunday is coming up, this means a full day of sitting in front of the couch and typically consuming: beer, chips and dip, nachos, candy, any kind of processed frozen appetizers you can pop in the oven, and of course hot wings. A recent release by the National Chicken Council stated that this year Americans will eat 1.3 billion chicken wings during the Superbowl! The Superbowl being the second biggest eating day of the year (thanksgiving coming in first).
This means that 162.5 million pounds of chicken wings are consumed, that’s enough chicken wings to place 600 wings on every seat in all 32 NFL stadiums. Crazy! Clearly having a hot, buffalo flavored stick to dip in some ranch is just as part of the event as the game itself.
Therefore, to balance out the many other things you most likely plan to consume that day I have a healthier alternative to your seat filled with chicken wings. Cauliflower wings are awesome. Truly, I have made these for several events over the years and each and every time I am handing out the recipe and there are no leftovers. They are delicious! They still give you the crispy outside, buffalo sauce and go ahead, dip them into your favorite ranch sauce. You quickly forget there is cauliflower in there and I will tell you, your intestinal system in the days following the SuperBowl will thank-you for a little plant-based balance to your Superbowl spread.
Super-Bowl Badass Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 2 large heads of cauliflower
- 1.5 cups milk of choice nut milk or organic whole milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour or amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 bottle your favorite buffalo sauce (keep an eye on sodium/ sugar content)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 1 cup your favorite ranch dip try and get organic or from the cooler section
- 2 cups carrot and celery sticks to serve with (optional)
- Turn your cauliflower upside down. Make a circle with the knife around the stem. Pull the stem out and the cauliflower will open up and fall apart.
- Cut cauliflower flourets into smaller size wing bites.
- Place milk in one bowl, mix all dry ingredients in another bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Dip each cauliflower piece into the milk then into the dry mixture (be sure to coat it well). Place each piece on the baking sheet.Do not overlap the pieces but space them about 1/2" apart. Place all the coated pieces into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the buffalo sauce and the oil or butter and mix well. Pour this overtop of the cauliflower wings and move around with a wooden spoon to ensure they are coated well.
- Place wings back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes to crisp up. Serve with your favorite dip, celery and carrots sticks on a platter and enjoy!