Being in the land of Avocado’s this week is very inspiring, my love for the might avocado is most likely obvious by now as I sneak them into many of my recipes. Hands down they are one of my favorite healthy fats. Avocados are a total superfood, once upon a time in the low-fat movement of the 80’s and 90’s people worried about eating them for their high fat content. However, we have come a long way and have a deeper understanding in that not all fats are created equal. Our brain, nervous system, hormones and skin need healthy fats such as the monounsaturated fats in avocados to properly function.
Avocados contain phytosterols, which deliver anti-inflammatory benefits and allow for optimal absorption of its array of carotenoids thanks to the avocados perfect combination of dietary fats. A study released in the Journal of Nutrition (2005) showed that by adding avocado to a salad of romaine, spinach and carrots the absorption of carotenoids from the salad was increased by 200-400% in comparison to the same avocado-free salad. So adding avocado to healthy dishes truly adds flavor, richness and enhances nutrient density.
I like to always push a little more, so by adding a scoop of my favorite greens powder it adds another layer of immune support and nutritional punch to this dip that no one will ever taste but will be sure to notice in how they feel.
Greens Powdered Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and smashed
- 2 tomatillos, peeled and finely finely chopped
- 1 lemon juice freshly squeezed
- pinch sea salt
- 1 scoop of your favourite greens powder
- Place avocado flesh in a bowl and smash with the back of a fork.
- Stir in the chopped tomatillos, the juice of the lemon, salt and greens powder
- Stir until well combined, scoop into a bowl and enjoy!