If you are looking for a plant-based nacho cheese dip to align with your vegan, paleo, gluten-free, or dairy-free lifestyle than look no further because I got you covered! Now, I have many my fair share of plant-based cheeses that make claims that have not really lived up. Watering cheese-like bowls that when you dip your chip into it has no substance, but by using Cauliflower you get the rich and creamy consistency of a nacho dip with a healthier spin on it.
Cauliflower gives the dip depth and substance, the carrots deliver vitamins, fiber, and the needed dose of orange to achieve that “cheese-like” color we want. Nutritional Yeast is loaded with Vitamin B’s and minerals while giving it that cheesy flavor we want. Feel free to spice this dip up by adding a jalapeno into the mix or an extra dash of chipotle chili powder. This recipe is fantastic on nachos, for your steamed broccoli, or even to top off your plant-based enchilada casserole. Yummy! There really is no limit to what you can do with this healthy “cheesy” sauce. Grab the
The Best Paleo, Dairy-free Nacho Cheese
- 4 cups cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeno peppers optional
- 1 tbsp chipotle chilli pepper optional
- pinch fine sea salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked 30min-1 hour in warm water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 large carrots, grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup almond or cashew milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Soak your cashews.
- Toss the chopped cauliflower, onion, and jalapeno pepper in the avocado oil with spices in a bowl until coated. Spread evenly out over a the baking sheet and bake on the top rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the cashews have soaked, strain and rinse them well. Add them and all the remaining ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor and process until well combined.
- Once the cauliflower pan is done, let it cool for a few minutes till warm and safely add it all to the blender and process for 2-3 minutes until everything becomes a rich and creamy sauce.
- Taste and if you want a little more spice or salt, add it now to suit your tastes and blend again. Pour into a bowl for dipping or over nachos and serve. Cooling it in the fridge also thickens it so you can make it a day ahead before servings too.