Finding new creative lunch ideas can sometimes feel overwhelming and a leafy green salad sometimes does not nourish us in the way we need. Quinoa and lentils together provide a perfect mix of protein, fiber, minerals, and amino acids that make this lunch nourishing without being heavy on the digestive system.
This dish is easy to prepare and will keep well in the fridge all week making this a great lunch to prepare on Sunday for the busy week ahead. Having food prepared ahead of time helps to set you up for success, reduces the need to eat out and consume unwanted calories or sugars, and saves money. I am a big supporter of meal prep and believer it supports healthy eating even when our lives are very busy.
The bold spices not only are delicious and create a warming experience in the body but they also provide health benefits. Ingredients in curry often include asafoetida, allspice, anise, cardamom and black pepper which can support digestion issues such as indigestion, constipation, and stomachaches. Curry also contains curcumin, which has been studied to support your body’s immune system thanks to vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin B6, and its ability to aid in fighting free-radical damage.
When I am creating recipes I like to examine all the ingredients and ensure that everything I add will serve my health and wellness in some way. When you swap out your store bought lunch for these simple whole foods pockets you are supplying your body with the raw materials it can use to support overall health and wellness. Food is truly amazing and one of the simplest things we can do for our body every day.
Happy Lunching! XO Jo
Sprouted Curry Lunch Pockets
- 1/2 cup sprouted lentils or chickpeas
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup purple grapes, cut in half
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 curly kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 large sprouted grain pita pockets, cut in half
- 2 tbsp avocado or cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch fine sea salt & pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine, lentils, quinoa, seeds, grapes, & celery and gently mix.
- Place dressing ingredients into a sealed jar, shake well and pour over the salad. Gentle mix until everything is well combined.
- Line inside pockets with i kale leaf torn, and scoop in the salad mixture diving equally amoung the 4 pockets.