Cauliflower was once the forgotten vegetable, considered to be nutrient deficient due to its white color. How iceberg lettuce got a bad rap for being less nutritious than it’s darker green lettuce friends, the cauliflower had the same reputation against its other cruciferous family members.
However, cauliflower has really made a comeback in both popularity and the field of nutrition. Alongside the mindset of reducing refined grains, cauliflower became a favorite substitute for pizza crusts, pasta, and even rice in recipes. It creamier, nutty flavor was added to dairy-free “cheese” alternatives as a tasty substitute.
Cauliflower is an antioxidant that supports heart health by being anti-inflammatory in nature, it’s Vitamin K, Omega-3, and glucoraphanin all support the cardiovascular system, and it has an excellent Vitamin C content of 55mg per cup. So next time, you think of passing over the cauliflower at the store, grab one and give these easy, creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup a try.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2-3 shallots peeled and finely sliced.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 cups cashew or hemp milk
- 1 sprig parsley, chopped (garnish, optional)
- pinch saffron (garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place cauliflower, shallots, and garlic evenly on a sheet or in a casserole dish. Coat with the oil and spices. Roast for 30 minutes. Allow it to slightly cool.
- Add everything together in the blender and process until smooth, about 2-5 minutes based on your blender.
- Pour into soup bowls and garnish.