This light tasting salad takes only minutes to throw together and is such a fresh and light tasting addition to any meal. This salad not only is full of flavor but is packed with nutritional benefits. When we think of citrus fruits we think about the vitamin C benefits which is true, 1/2 a medium grapefruit can contain about 45 mg of vitamin C. However, pink grapefruits also contain lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient which is responsible for its pink color, making it also a good source of Vitamin A and a dietary antioxidant.
When we think of antioxidant-rich foods, fennel may not be an obvious choice, however, don’t underestimate this boldly flavored vegetable. One cup of fennel has about 10.44 mg of vitamin C and is also a good source of dietary fiber, potassium, and calcium. Fennel also has antioxidant properties from a unique group of phytonutrients such as flavonoids and phenolic acids which are believed to offer antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Last, but not least, the mighty Kohlrabi offers a crunch to this salad which is pleasing to the palate in addition to minerals such as copper, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Kohlrabi may not be a vegetable that may people consume often but if you have not yet given it a try this salad is an easy way to incorporate it into your diet.
Light Citrus, Kohlrabi, & Fennel Salad
- 3 medium blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 large pink grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, loosely chopped
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp avocado oil
- pinch sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Chop all the citrus, fennel, kohlrabi and arrange on a platter.
- Chop the dill and sprinkle onto the the salad.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a jar, give it a good shake and pour over top of the salad. Enjoy!