This non-dairy, vegan whipped cream alternative is loaded with nutritional benefits! To name a just a few, Coconut milk provides:
· B Vitamins such as B1, B3, B5 & B6. These vitamins play a critical role in the cellular production of energy, supports nervous system health, blood sugar stabilization, stress regulation, fat metabolism, and hormone and water shifts in women.
· Vitamin C, which we all know is an essential antioxidant for our immune system. It is also a critical component in the function and maintenance of collagen which is essential for skin, bones, teeth, ligaments, capillary walls and maintaining healthy blood vessels.
· Selenium and Vitamin E. These are both found in coconut milk, which is a bonus, as they work synergistically for greater immune stimulation as well as for antioxidant functions. Thanks to these properties they are known to be part of the “longevity” and “anti-aging” nutrient groups.
· Magnesium is such an important essential macro mineral it would be hard to list all its benefits here. It is involved in more than 100 chemical reactions in the body, contributing to our cardiovascular health and metabolism. It’s known as the “anti-stress mineral” and is necessary for DNA function and production.
I could go on and on here, but back to the recipe! Use this whipped cream on fruit salad, pudding, pies or anything your heart desires.
Easy, Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can full fat, organic coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place the coconut milk in the fridge, ideally, overnight. This allows the water and cream to firmly separate. The colder the better to create the thick whip cream we have all come to love.
- Chill the mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for about 15 minutes before making the whipped cream (a trick my mom taught me).
- Turn the can of coconut milk upside down and open it from the bottom. This way you can easily drain the water into a jar for later use. You could add it to your smoothie tomorrow morning.
- Scoop the remaining coconut cream (the firm part) into your chilled mixing bowl and beat on medium-high heat for about 1 minute.
- Add sweetener of choice and vanilla then whip for an additional 2-3 minutes until the cream is thick and whipped.
- Scoop onto your favorite dessert and enjoy!