As a little girl I always loved Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Today, mint chocolate chip anything is the way to my heart for sure. Over the years I have played with a number of Mint Chocolate Chip recipes, like my classic Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie Bowl recipe. I have been craving a Mint Chocolate Chip cookie that brings back all those feel-good little girl ice cream vibes in a soft and chewy cookie. I can tell you that when I made his recipe my kids were literally eating the cookies around me trying to snap a few pictures for this blog post before they were quickly all gone.
Whenever I am recipe curating with a Mint Chocolate Chip recipe it really comes down to the perfect balance between mint and chocolate. You don’t want them too minty that it feels like a holiday mint peppermint cookie, but you want a to still taste the mint in each chewy bite.
I am so happy with this recipe and how it turned out. I have tried this recipe with both a plain mint extract and a peppermint extract and both turned out fantastic! So use whichever you have in your pantry and which minty flavour is your favourite.
You can add more mint flavour if you wish by using mint chocolate chips in the recipe instead of plain chocolate chips.
Another flexible nutrition option in this recipe is how you want to make them “green” based on your budget, dietary preferences, and what you have access to.
You can use a few drops of your favourite greens food colouring into the recipe. If you like natural food-based colouring options instead, I do like using powered spirulina, spinach, or your favourite greens powders.
There are a few cool food-based dyes you can buy, one of my favourite powdered food colouring that is tasteless but colours baked good beautifully, I featured in my naturally dying Easter eggs recipes, check it out here.
Definitely, choose the mint flavouring and green colouring options that suit your needs best. I also have some inclusive recipe swaps below so you can make these cookies gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and sugar-free if you so choose. We are all biochemically unique and have different health needs so I do my best to include a variety of recipe item swaps to keep the recipe is as inclusive as possible. If there is a swap I have not provided you need, post a comment below I am happy to help. Ok, let’s make some cookies. Yummy!
The Best Ever Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 electric mixer optional, you can mix these by hand too
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or use ghee or coconut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice white sugar, cane sugar, monk fruit, date sugar, etc
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or date sugar, or sugar-free brown sugar
- 1 medium egg or use flax or chia egg of vegan substitute
- 1/2 tsp mint extract or peppermint extract
- 3-5 drops green food coloring if you use the natural powder, adapt to achieve your ideal green color
- 1.5 cups flour of choice all-purpose flour, gluten-free or almond flour all work great
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips use chips of choice or do 1/2 cup of mint chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips of choice
- Blend all wet ingredients in a bowl, then add all the dry ingredients and mix well until combined. Your dough should be sticky.
- Fold in chocolate chips until combined. Roll into 1.5” balls. Place them 2” apart on a lined baking sheet and bake at 350F for 10-12 min. Don’t over bake or they won't be chewy. Let cool on a rack & enjoy!