Move over Kombucha cause water Kefir is the new kid on the block as the popular gut-loving fermented drink. Water Kefir is becoming a hot trend because you can enjoy the digestive benefits of kombucha but with way less work, no Scobie, and in less time. I get a ton of questions about Water Kefir? Water Kefir is a probiotic beverage made with water kefir grains and sugar water. Water Kefir grains are a complex polysaccharide blend of good bacteria cultures and yeasts that live in a symbiotic relationship. Cultures of Health does a great job of outlining the composition of water kefir grains if you are interested in the science behind them through their Water Kefir Grain Composition article.
What I personally love about water kefir is that when you feed the grains (I always like to put in 1/2 a banana as the grains double in quantity when I do), is that when your batch is done you can simply reuse the grains. Just add more water, your sweetener, and whatever fruit combination you have and boom! another batch in 1-2 days. It’s such an easy way to use soft fruit that might go to waste and give your gut some extra support thanks to this probiotic fermented beverage. Click the link below to watch the Full YOUTUBE video of How to Make this recipe,
Strawberry Lemonade Kefir
- 2 litres room temperature filtered water
- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
- 4-5 tbsp water kefir grains
- 1-2 small lemons, sliced
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/4 cup mashed strawberries
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (optional for a chia lemonade)
- MIx water and sugar in a large glass container with a lid until well dissolved. Add the water kefir grains.
- Add all the fruit, mix, put the lid on and store in dark and warm place for 24-36 hours. You will look for bubbles and carbonation forming.
- Strain everything over a large bowl. Pour the strained lemonade into a container that seals. You can enjoy it plain or add chia seeds if you like to have a Strawberry Chia Lemonade Kefir.
- Discard fruit and reuse the water kefir grains again to make another batch using the same instructions.