14 May Easy Summer Hibiscus Iced Tea
Warmer weather brings patio season, backyard BBQ’s, and a desire to find a refreshing ice cold beverage to cool us down on hot days. One of my favorite drinks to make in the summer is a naturally sweetened Hibiscus Ice Tea. I make a big jug on the weekend so I have it in the fridge for the week.
If you are new to Hibiscus tea you are in for a treat. Hibiscus has a beautiful flavor profile similar to cranberries but most importantly it is known as a powerful antioxidant that can support the body to combat free-radical damage from pollutants, stress, and toxins that can weaken the immune system. Sipping on an antioxidant-loaded beverage is a great way to enjoy a cool summer tea while reaping many health benefits. Some benefits to name a few include:
- Some studies have indicated that Hibiscus may lower blood pressure in pre-hypertensive adults. Another study concluded that is make have cardiovascular protective properties. A study from the University of Boston looks at its ability to reduce blood pressure from the anti-inflammatory properties.
- Anti-inflammatory and Anti-bacterial properties in hibiscus are thanks to the rich Vitamin C which is an important nutrient for our overall immune health.
- Digestive support from hibiscus has also been examined for its ability to increase both urination and bowel movements.
- There is increasing evidence that intake of sour tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa) has hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects and may benefit patients suffering from metabolic disorders such as diabetes
- Hibiscus tea has also been suggested to benefit weight-loss due, as research has suggested the extract can lower the absorption of starch and glucose.
This red antioxidant-rich iced tea is a great substitution for commercially prepared ice teas that are often loaded with refined sugars. Adding a whole date into the tea provides a natural sweetness and balances the tart taste of the tea while removing the need to add refined sugars. Sit back on your patio, enjoy the sun and sip this healthier Ice Tea this summer.