At the end of the week, I always have a black banana or two sitting on the counter in the fruit bowl. You all know me and I am not a fan of food waste, so I pop them into the freezer and proudly proclaim “I will make banana bread with these one day!”. Then a few months go by and someone in my house always will ask “what are we doing with all these darn black bananas!?!” and I quickly realize my freezer is full of them lol. This banana bread recipe is so quick and easy, my no-fail recipe makes the moistest banana bread everyone will love. I have experimented with the standard recipe to “healthify it”, so all the swaps for sugar, butter, eggs, and flour for a “healthier” banana bread below all still produce the best banana bread no matter how you like to swap it out to meet your needs.
My Fave Top 10 Fun Additions To My Banana Bread Recipe:
- Sugar-free chocolate chips (Lily’s Brand & Krisda I like the best)
- Berries (fresh or frozen are awesome! pick one or mix in a few kinds)
- Dried Fruit Freeze Dried Blueberries, Sugar-free Dried Cranberries or Cherries, & Dried Banana Chips)
- Nuts (Walnuts, cashews, or pistachios all are yummy)
- Seeds (pumpkin, chia, flax all are yummy in and on top of the bread)
- Nut or seed butter’s (Yup add 2 tbsp into the recipe below of your favorite creamy nut or seed butter)
- Spice it up! (pumpkin spice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, add a tsp of your fave seasonal spice)
- Zucchini (add 1 cup of shredded zucchini to the mix for added nutrition & texture)
- Crushed Pinneaple (swap 1 banana for 1/2 cup of drained crushed pineapple! so yummy!)
- Pumpkin Puree (swap 1 banana for 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree and add in pumpkin spice for a pumpkin spiced banana loaf! yummy)
What’s your favorite addition? Do you put something else yummy in your banana bread? I would love to hear what- post in the comments below!
Healthy & Easy Banana Bread
- 3 small-medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup monkfruit granulated sugar or whatever sweetener/sugar you like
- 1 medium egg or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed & 3 tbsp warm water mixed)
- 1/4 cup melted ghee or grass-fed butter or use coconut oil for plant-based version
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour almond flour or gluten-free flour works too
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup topping of choice! any of the 10 I listed work
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and butter together in a bowl. Mix flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl; stir into banana mixture until batter is just mixed. Stir the salt into the batter. If you are adding in your toppings like chocolate chips, or nuts, or berries mix them in now. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hour.