When we think of scones we often think of an indulgence that we buy with our equally sugary latte when we are out with friends. However, when you make scones with whole foods and use real pumpkin you omit the sugary flavorings, added syrups, and white flours that accompany these types of foods. Just as a delicious piece of banana bread can be made from scratch using real ingredients, so can the simple scone.
Pumpkin is truly an underestimated super-food that is an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C. fiber, and potassium which supports heart health and our immune system. Eating foods high in potassium can be as important as reducing your sodium intake for those with hypertension and high blood pressure, so pumpkin is a great choice.
When you buy pumpkin puree ensure there are no added sugars in the jar, just look for a brand that says “pumpkin” and nothing else. You also can very easily make your own homemade pumpkin puree in minutes and you can add it to baking, smoothies, and soups to enjoy the health benefits. Here is my how to make pumpkin puree blog post with step-by-step instructions to help guide you through the process.
Happy fall baking.
Healthy Breakfast Pumpkin Scones
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour use gluten-free or almond
- 1 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp cinnamon optional topping
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar optional topping
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ground flax with water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, salt and pumpkin spice. Mix well, then add in coconut oil and mash with a fork until it is broken up and distributed evenly. Add flax mixture and pumpkin puree. Stir well until combined.
- Transfer the dough onto your parchment-lined baking sheet. Use your hands to form a round shape, about 1 inch in height. Then use a large wet knife to cut it into 6 or 8 even wedges.
- Sprinkle the top with a bit of coconut sugar and cinnamon (optional) and bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and enjoy immediately.