It is pretty hard right now to not hear the word “Ketosis”. The Keto Diet and its many, many variations have peaked in popularity. As a Holistic Nutrition & Natural Nutrition Clinical Practitioner, I historically avoid the diet industry and its constant changing of “fad diets”. I work with women to get off the jumping from one fad diet to the next in order to support them to establish a healthy relationship with foods. However, many of my clients have been enjoying great success on a whole foods and balanced diet of low-sugar and low simple carbohydrates while enjoying an abundance of whole foods, healthy fats, and moderate portions of good quality protein. Due to the increased demand of those wanting the benefits of the “keto lifestyle” and wanting to not consume butter and bacon daily ( aka “dirty keto”) I created the Balanced Keto for Beginners Online Program to meet that need and the success has been phenomenal.
Now, as the weather is getting nicer and patio season is upon us my clients want to know “What can I drink on Keto?”. The reality of going camping, enjoying your lake vacation, or hanging out with friends and not having an ice-cold drink can feel a lot like “diet restrictions”. What we know about restricting ourselves and saying “oh I can’t enjoy that I am on a diet”… is it’s very damaging emotionally, can make you feel defeated if you do not follow strict guidelines, and can increase binge eating. By taking a balanced approach we want to live our lives while aligning with our health goals in a seamless way. Now, I am most definitely not saying that alcohol is apart of a healthy diet, but what I am saying, is that for those that want to not feel restricted, not stress about what to drink at the BBQ while aligning with your low-sugar and/or low-carb lifestyle then there are ways to do both.
I have created 5 Summer Cocktail Recipes that are Keto friendly, as well have little to no sugar which is supportive to those with candida or blood sugar issues. These drinks are a fun alternative to their sugary and high carb cousins and are meant to enable you to have fun at a party and not stress about what to drink or feel left out! Remember to drink responsibly 🙂
1) Low Carb Sangria (Red or White)
- 4 oz. low-sugar or keto red or white wine (I love Keto Dry Farm Wines!)
- 4 oz. Low Sugar Soda, ( I love the Lemon Lime Twist with white wine sangria and the Orange or Blackberry with red sangria. Plain sparkling water or sugar-free club soda works too).
- 1 oz. Citron vodka
- 1 oz lime juice
- a few slices of limes (optional)
- Ice (optional)
- Combine ingredients into a glass. Stir gently. Add ice if desired.
** If I am making a large picture I will make this recipe x4 and add slices of citrus fruits (lemon, limes, and a few raspberries for a crowd).
2) Keto Skinny Frozen Margaritas
- 2 cups of ice
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- 2 oz tequila (I love chilled silver patron)
- 2 tbsp keto sweetener (stevia, monk fruit)
- 1 oz orange sparkling keto water (Zevia)
- Coarse salt to salt the rim (optional)
- 1 lime wedge for rim (optional)
- Fill a shaker half-full with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and sweetener to the shaker. Seal and shake vigorously until the outside is frosted, 10 to 15 seconds.
- Place salt on a plate. Run 1 lime wedge along the rim of the Mason jar. Press the jar down into the salt. Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Strain margarita into the glass. Top with sparkling water and stir. Garnish a with the remaining lime wedge.
3) Low Carb Ginger Moscow Mules
- 3 oz vodka
- 1 cup of Low Carb Ginger Beer (Zevia)
- 2 oz lime juice
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 1 tsp low-sugar natural sweetener (stevia or monk fruit)2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 lime wedges
- Pour vodka and lime juice into 2 copper mugs; add ice cubes and sugar-free ginger beer; stir to combine. Add lime slices to garnish.
4) Keto Lemon Drop Gin
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon or 1 packet Truvia lemon flavoring or another ketogenic diet-friendly sweetener (I like to use the Truvia Lemon Pack also if you want to “sugar” the rim for more of a fancy cocktail)
- 1.5 oz of a Vodka (a lemon flavored vodka can take this lemon drop up a notch).
- 1/2 cup of Ice (shaved ice is so nice with this drink)
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake. Pour and yum!
To “sugar” the rim of your glass simply pour some Truvia onto a plate, wet the rim of your glass, and dip.
5) Keto Mojito
- 4 leaves Mint fresh
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice fresh
- 1/2 cup Sugar-free Tonic water or sparkling water
- 1 1/2 ounce of your favorite vodka
- Lime Slice for Garnish optional
- Using a muddler or other utensil, smash fresh mint leaves with lime and sweetener.
- Fill an 8-ounce glass with ice
- Add vodka
- Finish off with club soda
- Garnish with a lime slice and mint
These Keto Cocktail recipes are designed to help you enjoy patio season, navigate the parties, and most importantly not stress about enjoying a cocktail if you so choose while you are following a keto, low simple carb, and low sugar lifestyle. Let me know which one is your favorite!