Recipe 5 of our Hocus Pocus Foodie Week are these Super, Chewy Dark Cacao Reese’s Cookies!
I love dark or black cacao powder because it gives you a true black color to baking naturally without adding black food dyes. Black food dyes ( like red dye) can have contradictions with many mood disorders & antipsychotic medications, impact those with migraines, as well as can have a negative impact on kids with AHDH & hyperactive diagnoses. Navigating this time of year with food dyes and food sensitives can feel overwhelming! Especially if you are also trying to not restrict food & find a “happy balance”.
In addition to black cacao powder being a natural black coloring to your baking, it also is less processed & also contains iron, magnesium, zinc, and antioxidants! All of which support our brain hormone connection, and stress response in the body. If you are new to Black Cacao, here are some of my favorite brands to check out.
Super, Chewy Dark Cacao Reese’s Cookies
These cookies are chewy, and moist and are a great addition to your Halloween Party.
- ` hand mixer optional
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 bowl
- 2 cup flour (all-purpose flour, glutenfree flour, or almond flour)
- 1/8-1/4 cup black cacao (based on how black you want the cookie) also you can use the cocoa you have.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup melted butter or ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar of choice monk fruit , cane, white
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or date sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg or egg replacer/ chia egg
- 1 egg yolk or yolk replacer
- 1 cup reese's pieces I used only orange for Halloween , you can use a plain chocolate chip or vegan chips to remove all colouring/ meet your needs)
- Mix all dry ingredients In a bowl & beat all wet in another bowl. Slowly add wet to dry and mix well.
- Add in chips of choice & roll 1 tbsp dough into a ball and bake at 325F for 15-17 minutes on a lined baking sheet Allow to cook & enjoy!