Blueberry Rhubarb Morning Oat Bars
Sweet, tart and perfectly balanced are these Blueberry Rhubarb Oat Bars. A great addition to your breakfast smoothie on the go, as a lunchbox snack, or when you just want something a little sweet.
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil (to grease the pan)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup good quality honey or maple syrup
- 1 large lemon zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla powder or contents of 1 vanilla bea you can use liquid too
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder or irish moss you can use cornstarch as well
- 4 cups rolled oats use gluten-free as needed
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil (melted oil)
- 1 tbsp liquid vanilla
Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x12 baking pan with a little coconut oil.
In a medium saucepan, bring fruit, honey, zest & juice of the lemon and water together over medium-high heat to a boil. Once bubbling, remove from the heat and add in the thickener (arrowroot/moss/cornstartch) and vanilla. Stir until the fruit it well coated and let cool.
Place 2 cups of oats in your blender or food processor and blitz into a fine powder. Combine the oat powder with the other 2 cups of oats and all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add in the wet ingredients and mix with your hands.
Take 1/2 of the mixture and press firmly into the bottom of the greased pan.
Pour the fruit mixture overtop and spread it out evenly over the oats
Sprinkle the other 1/2 of the mixture overtop for the crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Allow the pan to completely cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Store the bars in the fridge for 1 week.
Freeze bars in an airtight container for up to 6 months.